Monument record BUR 012 - Moatyards
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0969 7600 (429m by 352m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Med moated area, 180 feet x 322 feet, near spring on meadow known as Moatyards. Close to parish boundary, isolated. Excavation trials by Basil Brown in 1934/1935 revealed EMed pottery, including large part of plate - said by IPSMG to date circa 1300 - found at depth of two and half feet to three feet. The owner and farmer circa 1890, Mr Simpson made a few excavations and his daughter told Brown that burials had been found (S1)(S2)(S3).
Further ?ditches shown on APs (S4).
Visible as a large rectangular depression with extensions to the west and south. To the NE, and apparently connecting, is a dry stream bed, partially enclosing a small mound (S5).
A dry homestead moat beside a stream measuring overall circa 88.0m E-W, by circa 68.0m N-S, with arms circa 16.0m wide. The western arm is cut into a slope and is circa 2.0m deep, whereas the eastern arm shows signs of being once connected to the stream. No trace of any building was found within the enclosed area (S6).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V,45; XCIII,41; XCIV,43; XCVI,55,88; cards 77,78; map 32.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BPH 78-79.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE15.
- <S3> SSF18161 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), SMR card.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BPH 78-79; RAF CP6/UK/1937 S154-155 (K Blood).
- <S5> SSZ54994 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1937/5154-55 18 1 47.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 04-DEC-73.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 2:41PM