Monument record RKS 003 - Facon's Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0431 7357 (216m by 236m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL SUPERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Moat, rectangular, portions only, isolated, occupied. Site in garden and orchard to W of present Facon's Hall, excavated by Basil Brown from 1961- 1964. Remains of at least two buildings revealed, both thought by Brown to have been previous manor houses. The earliest building was of clay and timber construction with remains of horizontal sills into which uprights were fitted. Floors were of chalk or clay admixture and C14-C15 pottery was found in black fill 6-8 inches deep. To the E a further wing or separate building was revealed with wall footings of early brick and large flint and one oak sill in situ. Sherds in this area were from C16-C18. Also found were many C13 sherds, some early Langerwehe ware, C14-C15 bronze twisted wire finger ring with green glass inset, curry comb C14-C15, dagger or knife (S1)(S2)(S3)(R1)(R2).
The name Facon's Hall probably refers to Walter Fawkonn, son of John of Eye, owner in 1327.
Despite many site plans and drawings showing numerous postholes, hearths and walls, the excavation is not readily understood and the best description, though short, is contained in volume LXV 1-4. Possibly this is the site of a much earlier settlement.
Also Neo, Rom, Sax, PMed.
- <R1> SSF11141 (No record type): Medieval Archaeol, 8, 1964, 273.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, site plans.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, II,116,117,124; XX,60-69; XXI, 1,3,4-53; XXII, 76,85-87; XXV, 29,31,33; XXXV, 17; XXXVI, 8;.
- <R2> SSF11143 (No record type): Medieval Archaeol, 9, 1965, 203.
- <S2> SSF9899 (No record type): IPSMG, site plans M58,M124,M125,M130,M144.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07SW53.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 29, 1962, (2), 222,223.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 961-156, 1961.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2022 1:26PM