Monument record RKS 009 - Cooks Field, Gardenhouse Lane.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0455 7508 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL SUPERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Two BA circular pits excavated in solid chalk discovered during pipeline trenching in 1957 on Cook's Field, Gardenhouse Lane. The contents of the pits consisted of charcoal, worked flint and pottery sherds, some of which were sent to IPSMG and some retained by Basil Brown. Those in the archive are thought to be BA, one sherd has decoration of circular holes and this may be Beaker pottery (S1)(S2)(S3).
A clay wall behind which is a groove may be a structure of a later date and possibly a channel leading to a soakaway according to Basil Brown (S2). For more information on pottery beaker, see (S4).
- <R1> SSF21291 (No record type): Smedley N & Aberg F A, 1958.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVII, 63; LXXII, 54,55; card index 311.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1957.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1957, (3), 184.
- <S4> SSF6844 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites, BAR 107(i), 1982, 227.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:48AM