Monument record SLY 013 - A possible field system and trackways of unknown date, Old Hall Hill, Shotley (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 236 352 (247m by 220m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Complex field system with intersecting linear ditches (S1). Enclosure SLY 043 within this complex (S1)(S2).
The possible remains of a ditched field system and trackways of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs in a field near Old Hall Hill, Shotley, centred on TM 23673524. A broad trackway consisting of parallel ditches approximately 18m apart runs from TM 23623532 southwards to TM 23663523 where it joins another broad trackway running at 90 degrees to the first, from TM 23583518 in the west to TM 23773527 in the east. This trackway is around 8m wide on average. The intersection of these trackways creates two possible large enclosures, one of which is described in SLY 043. A number of other linear ditched features are also visible in this field such as the less substantial possible trackway centred on TM 23663526. A large pit, around 8m in diameter is also visible at TM 23686527. (S2-S7)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/1 (826/346) 07-JUL-1975.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 1/346; McMasters Mrs 136.
- <S2> SSF11055 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 136, 1990.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66189 127 23-JUL-1966.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2335/2 (956/363) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2335/9 (1657/407) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S6> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2335/14 (EXC 19093/17) 09-JUN-1997.
- <S7> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI13) 15-JUN-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM