Monument record SLY 019 - Perity (field name) (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 227 368 (608m by 616m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A short length of trackway running N-S approximately, with a series of rectilinear field boundaries, some meeting the W side of the trackway at right angles, others to the E are more haphazard (S1) (S2). Close to field system SLY 031.
Present (1993) field name is PERITY (S3).
See also BA, Rom & Mes.
A probable Later Prehistoric or Roman ditched field system and trackway are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 22633692 to the east of Redhouse Plantation in Shotley parish. The field system consists of a central trackway with adjoining rectilinear enclosures. The trackway is visible for 230m from TM 22623704 to TM 22563687 and runs north to south before turning to the west at its southern end. Rectilinear enclosures are adjoined to either side of this trackway. The enclosures measure, on average, 40m by 23m. To the south and east another ditch is visible enclosing the trackway and enclosures on their southern and eastern sides. It may be a boundary ditch and appears to be double-ditched in places, such as at TM 22653686. Two short stretches of parallel ditches that may also be part of a trackway are visible to the south-west of the site at TM 22493683. The field system is probably of Later Prehistoric or Roman date. (S1) (S4) (S5) (S6)
See SLY 106 for sand pit.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2236/3 (826/362) 07-JUL-1975.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR, 3/362; SAU AGK 11.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. SAU, AP AGK 11 21-JUL-1977.
- <S3> SSF10447 (No record type): Laverton, S.. Laverton S, August 1993.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/3 (956/346) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2236/42 (4851/19) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2236/63 (21736/06) 13-AUG-2002.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 30 2018 7:34AM