Monument record SLY 027 - A sub-circular enclosure visible on aerial photographs, Shotley Parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2389 3454 (41m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 30m diameter. Very close to converging trackways within SLY 044 (S1)(S2).
A probable late prehistoric sub-circular enclosure is visible as a cropmark of a ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM23883454. The feature is circa 25m in diameter and is slightly irregular in plan with a possible entrance on its north eastern side. The feature is located in an area of late prehistoric field boundaries and trackways with which it may be associated. These are part of a wider landscape, described in ARW 020. A medieval or post-medieval field boundary, part of SLY 044, runs immediately to the east of the enclosure. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF18849 (No record type): SAU, APs AGK 09, AGL 06.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: SAU AGK 09, AGL 06; McMasters Mrs 44.
- <S2> SSF11062 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 44, 1990.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR 2334/2 (NMR 956/369-370) 07-JAN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/31 (EXC 16927/10) 13-JUN-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2017 2:36PM