Monument record SLY 038 - A late prehistoric or Roman rectilinear enclosure, Shotley.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2355 3495 (70m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rectangular enclosure approximately 35m x 12m intersecting with trackway, amidst a number of field boundaries, (SLY 008), one of which meets the NW corner of the enclosure (S1) (S2).
A late prehistoric or Roman rectilinear enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark, centred on TM235349 (S3, S4). The size of the enclosure appears to be closer to 40m x 20m than the dimensions described above, and it is orientated south-west to north-east. The enclosure appears to be associated with two trackways (one to the north and one to the south) and a number of smaller enclosures or boundaries. The enclosure is probably associated with a wider cropmark landscape that is on a similar alignment, that covers 115ha of Shotley peninsular (see ARW 020). However, the trackway and field boundaries described above are probably part of a later field system and agricultural activity (see SLY 044). The north-eastern corner of the enclosure appears to have been either destroyed or obscured by a later extraction pit. There are no visible internal features.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. AP : NMR 1/343 1/347.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 1/343, 1/347.
- <S2> SSF18319 (No record type): SAU, AP ACS 12.
- <M2> SSF35746 (No record type): SAU ACS 12.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. CP/97/14/16 June 1997.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR 2334/25 (NLA 5894/15) 14-JUL-1989.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR 2334/33 (EXC 19093/16) 09-JUN-1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM