Monument record SLY 042 - A rectangular enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, crossing the Awarton-Shotley parish boundary.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2311 3453 (143m by 107m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rectangular enclosure approximately 100m x 60m, with an entrance on the E side. Surrounded by intersecting field boundaries SLY 020, ARW 020 (S1) (S2). Crosses Arwarton/Shotley parish boundary.
A rectangular enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark of a ditch, centred on TM 23153450 (S3). The cropmarks measure circa 100 x 60m, enclosing an area of circa 6000 square metres. There may be an entrance on the eastern side, but this may simply be a visual effect of the cropmark palimpsest in this area. The photographs referenced above were not available for examination. This enclosure is part of a wider cropmark landscape recorded in ARW 020, and from its association with the surrounding cropmarks is probably late prehistoric or Roman in date, but may be as late as Post-Medieval.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM23SW10.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 1/340.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 1/340; SAU AFV 01-02.
- <S2> SSF18417 (No record type): SAU, AP AFV 01-02.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR OS/66/189 126-7 23-JUN-1966.
- <S4> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 1:34PM