Monument record IPS 190 - Site of Chapel of our Lady of Grace, Corner of St Matthews Street and Lady Lane, (IAS 1602).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1597 4475 (55m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Site of our Lady of Grace Chapel, destroyed by Thos Cromwell. Situated on corner of St Matthews Street and Lady Lane. At time of destruction in 1538, a miracle working statue is reputed to have been taken to London and burnt (S1), (It is now suggested it may be at Nettuno Maritimo, Italy).
1956: Five skeletons found on NW side of chapel site.
1968: Stone water spout in form of lion's head, probably Ancaster limestone, found during building operations on chapel site. Numerous human bones found at TM 1595 4476 which appear to have been reburied (In 17th-18th Centuries?)(S2, S3).
Demolition of Smith's Albion House. Site of Chapel of Our Lady of Grace, destroyed by Cromwell. Numerous human bones (assumed) associated with the chapel found in adjacent demolition. (S7)
See also (S4, S6).
[letter, number] refers to mentions in the Suffolk Council Archaeological Service Ipswich Documentary Card index, (S8)
Chapel of lady of Grace mentioned, 1458
- <S1> SSF56004 Article in serial: Haslewood, F.. 1898. Our Lady of Ipswich. PSIA, 10, 1898, (1), 53-55.
- <S2> SSF55973 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1968. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1968. PSIAH, 1968, XXXI.2, pp. 188–201.. PSIAH, 1968, XXXI.2, pp. 188–201..
- <S3> SSF223 Source Unchecked: Anderson S. 1968. Anderson Dr, Inst of Geol Science, 23 May 1968. Anderson Dr, Inst of Geol Science, 23 May 1968.
- <S4> SSF23272 Source Unchecked: Wodderspoon. 1850?. Memorials of Ipswich,. Wodderspoon, Memorials of Ipswich, 331.
- <S5> SSF3613 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, G, R.. 1830. History of Ipswich.
- <S6> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1968-18, L.968-25.
- <S6> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 1602.
- <S7> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 1602.
- <S8> SSF57771 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Ipswich Documentary Card index.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF2369: STATUE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF2370: ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF39810: HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Casual Observation? Site of Chapel of our Lady of Grace, Corner of St Matthews Street and Lady Lane, (IAS 1602). (ESF23434)
- Event - Interpretation: Casual Observation? Site of Chapel of our Lady of Grace, Corner of St Matthews Street and Lady Lane, (IAS 1602). (ESF23435)
- Event - Interpretation: Ipswich UAD, Documentary Search (ESF25673)
Record last edited
May 19 2021 3:13PM