Monument record MDS 002 - Pond Field (OS 609/560)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1109 6377 (17m by 26m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Probable moated site - all that survives now is an elongated pond which probably formed the western side of the moat. Site associated with Garlonds and Cutlers Tenement belonging to Winchesters Manor.
1969: Med scatter found during fieldwalking survey by R Colchester within area of moat. Also area of cobbles (on sketch map).
Med pottery sherds, including C11-C12 shelly and sandy (with grit) rims, and C13-C15. Majority of pottery C13-C14. One probable Thetford rim. Also fragments of lava quern and an iron arrowhead (S1)(S2).
1989: White ware rim with pale buff core, unglazed, with external horizontal cordon - ?French Saintonge ware ?C15.
Shows indistinctly on AP (S3).
- <M1> SSF38174 (No record type): Mendlesham survey archive: copy (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF3881 (No record type): Colchester R, Mendlesham survey record sheet, site 2, 1969.
- <S2> SSF3849 (No record type): Colchester R, A Landscape History of the Parish of Mendlesham, Ms, circa 1977.
- <S3> SSF50113 Photograph: OS. Air Photograph - OS. 73 095 180, 1973.
- FSF8256: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- FSF8257: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF8258: ARROWHEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF8259: QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF8260: POTTERY WHITE WARE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 20 1989 12:00AM