Monument record FRT 007 - E of Freston Lodge (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 173 392 (738m by 605m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Rectilinear field system with NW-SE trackway, probably overlying the three ring ditches, FRT 024, FRT 025, FRT 026. Two small narrow rectangular fields can be seen, one of which contains ring ditches, FRT 024 and FRT 025 and the one to the NW may have an entrance on the NW edge. Parts of three other rectangular `fields' of different sizes are also apparent to the SW. A small rectangular enclosure, FRT 027 occurs to the W (S1-S4).
Also Ipswich ware & Med finds to N of cropmarks - see Sax.
A possible Iron Age or Roman field system is visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 17263929 in fields to the south and south-east of Freston Wood in Freston parish. The linear system consists of a number of linear ditched boundaries and double-ditched trackways orientated on a north-west south-east and north-east south-west alignment. Two trackways are visible forming a T-junction at TM 17133940. Linear boundaries adjoining these trackways appear to form a series of rectilinear enclosures of varying sizes which continue to the east of the B1456, where they become slightly irregular. A small ring ditch enclosing an area roughly 8m in diameter is visible at TM 17653913. The field system does not appear to relate to the modern pattern of land use or to the Post Medieval field boundaries recorded in FRT 040, suggesting that it may be of Iron Age or Roman date. (S1-S8) See FRT 042 for the possible Post Medieval road. (S9)
- <M1> SSF39504 (No record type): APs: ACS 20-22, AGJ 15.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13NE22.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/4 (SFU 11549/CS/20) 25-JUL-1975.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/5 (SFU 11549/CS/21) 23-JUL-1975.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/6 (SFU 11549/CS/22) 23-JUL-1975.
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/2 (SFU 11565/GJ/15) 23-JUL-1975.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4044 06-JUL-1944.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1639/1 (826/224) 07-JUL-1975.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1839/1 (1659/405) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/10 (4600/01) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S9> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 1:19PM