Monument record MDS 032 - Medieval moat at Moat Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 097 661 (92m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, fragments of two sides, spur, probably square. Occupied, isolated. Located by R Colchester during fieldwalking survey (S1, S2).
(TM 09706613) Moat (NR) (S3)
Portions of two adjoining square moats are at Poplar Farm. (S4)
The rectangular ponds in the area of Poplar Farm and Moat Farm (a private house at TM 09716611) are situated on level ground and fed by surface drainage, but they do not form part of a moat. According to the owner they were probably dug as farm ponds or clay pits.
Published 25" survey correct. (S5)
- <M1> SSF35779 (No record type): Mendlesham survey archive: copy (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF3896 (No record type): Colchester R, Mendlesham survey record sheet, site 32.
- <S2> SSF3851 Unpublished document: Colchester R. c. 1977. A landscape history of the parish of Mendlesham.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1958.
- <S4> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH).
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 7-JUL-76.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 10:10AM