Monument record RKN 008 - Allwood Green; Common Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0395 7226 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL INFERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom pottery kiln site on field N of Common Barn, Allwood Green, found during deep ploughing in September 1959. C Cook, ploughman, reported five black patches on this field to Basil Brown, who visited site and found pottery sherds, including Samian ware. During excavation one circular pedestal kiln was revealed and three other areas described as "hearths" by B Brown. The pottery found was C1, C2 and kiln fabric was also recovered together with a few bronze fragments. Pottery in Ipswich Museum. The field appears to have a series of pits in it and the pottery kiln was found in one of these (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
No trace and no further information. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 82,104-106; LXXIII, 39,42,46,58-63; card index 306.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 28, 1959, (2), 166.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 959-284, 1959.
- <S4> SSF9808 (No record type): IPSMG, field plans, M111, M151.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 21-NOV-73.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2021 2:03PM