Monument record MNL 003 - County Farm, West Row Fen, Mildenhall (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 638 800 (100m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1961: Two large flint cores were found with the frontal bone of Bos primigenius in shelly marl below peat (S1). Listed as Palaeolithic by OS (S2), as Mesolithic by Wymer (S3). Described as coming from the same horizon (called Early Bronze Age) of the peat as the Lowe's Farm Bos in (S4). Horn cores measure 362mm circumference at base, 810mm long along posterior curvature (S4).
Previously also listed as MNL 087.
- <S1> SSF56006 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1961. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1961. XXIX.1, pp. 91–102..
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL68SW7, (map).
- <S3> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 261.
- <S4> SSF59581 Article in serial: Shawcross F W with Higgs E S,. 1961. The Excavation of a Bos Promigenius at Lowe's Farm, Littleport.
- <S5> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. Briscoe Lady G, Diary for 1965, 26-27 March, 11 April, unpublished.
- <S6> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Palaeolithic, 1961.
- <S7> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1093.
- <S8> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11374.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2020 3:05PM