Monument record MNL 028 - Cooks Drove, West Row Fen; F10; OS Field 2000, Mildenhall, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6620 7699 (124m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1959: Large perforated antler tool of red deer (S1,S2). Found in, or previous to 1959.
Previously numbered MNL 006.
1965-1987: fieldwalking by C Pendleton has revealed spread of worked flint, bone, burnt flint, etc., including some Mesolithic material.
March 1987 : fieldwalking for Fenland survey indicated thin spread of Mesolithic type material all over field, although main concentration occurred on North West side of South West half of field. Detailed results not yet available (S5).
See also Neolithic and Bronze Age records.
- <S1> SSF56034 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1959. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1959. XXVIII.2, pp. 161–167..
- <S2> SSF3422 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1959. CBA, Group 7, Bulletin 6, 1959, 8. CBA, Group 7, Bulletin 6, 1959, 8.
- <S3> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 262.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, 1959.
- <S5> SSF11207 Cartographic materials: MIHLM. 6 inch record map.
- <S6> SSF18101 Finds Report: Pendleton C. 1987. MNL 028. SAU (Pendleton C), May 1987.
- <S9> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1097.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? Cooks Drove, West Row Fen; F10; OS Field 2000, Mildenhall, (ESF27699)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey, Cooks Drove, West Row Fen; F10; OS Field 2000, Mildenhall, , Mildenhall SAU, C Pendle (Ref: C Pendleton, 1965-1987) (ESF16832)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey, Fenland (Ref: Fenland Survey (Master Event() (ESF27811)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2020 1:53PM