Monument record SUY 026 - Chapel of Holy Sepulchre
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8711 4126 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
`The exact site of the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre was found in 1826 during construction of three houses "at the upper end of, and fronting Sepulchre [now Gainsborough] Street to the south; the west end of them abutting upon Gregory Street." One of the buttresses of the chapel, 4 feet in height was found 23 feet north of the road side, surrounded by many skeletons' (S1)(R1). Further details in (S2). William, Earl of Gloucester (died 1183) gave St Sepulchre to Stoke College and this grant was confirmed by his daughter, Amicia, Countess of Clare, in 1206 (S1)(S2).
For further burials on Junction of School & Stour Streets see SUY 065.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84SE18.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 1850, 225-226.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 7, 1887, 13-16.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 1:500 1884.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2021 12:05PM