Find Spot record MNL 107 - High Lodge Hill, Mildenhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7405 7531 (46m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
`Incense cup found three feet in gravel deposit during road widening' (S1, S3).
Details of find and photograph of vessel in newspaper cutting in Basil Brown archive (S2), found about 2-5 feet deep and "associated with a number of stones (&?) flints including two red pot boilers". About 20 paces to E along this cutting "about 4 feet down" were two further groups of "black sherds of a larger pot - ? rough Bronze Age, with nearly straight rim, also assoicated with stones and blackish sand" and a " group of sherds with 2 diff(erent) rims and black sand". A further "group of stones, mostly large flints, with signs of fire" was found 10- 15 paces further E. Further details & sketch in (S4).
Cited map reference,
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NW30.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXXXVI, II, 1950.
- <S3> SSF11207 Cartographic materials: MIHLM. 6 inch record map. MIHLM, record map, XXI SW second edition, 1905, undated record.
- <S4> SSF59873 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 6" 1958.
- <S5> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. Briscoe Lady G, diary, 13-18 April, 1950, sketch.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 2:18PM