Monument record MNL 148 - Gravel Drove, West Row.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6658 7535 (131m by 110m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Complete beaker found in dyke in 1930 by Mr Edwin Bacon. In 1951 in possession of Mr Sidney Ford of West Row. Beaker of Clarkes Developed Southern (British) or Abercromby A type (S1,S2,S5). The Sidney Ford collection is now in MIHLM.
Polished flint knife found In possession of Mr Sidney Ford in 1951 (S3,S5). Now in MIHLM.
Fieldwalking by C Pendleton between 1965 and 1985 revealed scatter of worked distinctly patinated flint in S half of field (S4).
Note scatter of similarly patinated material, including beaker and polished flint knives in field to NW, MNL 149. Further similar material in BSEMH from MNL 063. A thin scatter of material occurs in between MNL 148 and MNL 149, so concentrations probably representative of an extensive occupation scatter (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE20.
- <S2> SSF3565 Bibliographic reference: Clarke D L. 1970. Beaker Pottery of GB & Ireland 2. Clarke D L, Beaker Pottery of GB & Ireland, 2, 1970, 381, 497, corpus no. 894, (ill).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE22.
- <S4> SSF15678 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. 1987. Catalogue of finds and findspots,1965-1987, unpublished.
- <S5> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, J. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 11 2020 7:28AM