Monument record MNL 153 - Hayland House (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 65 77 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
During surface archaeological survey of area, a circular mound discovered in grass field immediately to W of Hayland House (now demolished). Animal bones in mole hills indicated occupation. Mound, 60 feet across and 2 feet high, including 6 inches of eroded peat, excavated by C S Leaf in ? 1933 by trenches and open area method. Consisted of natural sand covered with peat. Water table found 6 inches below trench base. Finds on (& partially within) sand surface included restorable Mildenhall ware vessel (S1, plate 1)(R1), and other plain Neo sherds, worked flint, including one complete and one fragment of leaf arrowhead, a flake from a polished flint axe, animal bones and burnt flints, mixed with Mes & EBA material. Various features including `post holes' and dark sand patches recorded, some clearly EBA. Disarticulated human bone was also found in an EBA pit (S1).
Location of site at TL 650 770 approximate only, taken from small sketch plan in (S1)(S2).
1965-1985: Fieldwalking revealed relatively light scatter of worked flint, including part of polished flint axe in this area, which is now completely ploughed out, no surviving trace of peat and no indication of `circular' mound (S3).
Also Mes & BA.
- <S1> SSF10506 Article in serial: Leaf, C.S.. 1935. Report on the excavation of two sites in Mildenhall Fen. Leaf C S, Report on the excavation of two sites in Mildenhall Fen, PCAS, 35, 1935, 106-117, (ill).
- <R1> SSF16396 (No record type): Piggott S, PPSEA.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE3 & 9.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF15678 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. 1987. Catalogue of finds and findspots,1965-1987, unpublished.
- FSF2849: POTTERY PLAIN (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2850: POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2851: LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2852: WORKED OBJECT (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2853: ANIMAL REMAINS (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2854: HUMAN REMAINS (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF2855: POTTERY DECORATED (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2021 2:19PM