Monument record FLN 004 - Flixton Hall, Flixton Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3041 8590 (183m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Flixton Hall was built circa 1615 by Sir John Tasburgh. It was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1847, then extensively rebuilt. The dovecote at Flixton Hall is probably the only intact remains of the C17 hall. Both Grade II (S1) from (R1).
Built by Sir Nicholas de Tasburgh in time of Henry VIII C16 (S1) quoting (R2). Dovecote agreed at C17.
The whole of the ground floor of the hall is extant but in poor condition; it is now utilised as barns, stables, garages, etc. The dovecote, in use as a store, is not outstanding (S1).
Hall near junction of parishes of South Elmham St Cross, South Elmham St Mary otherwise Homersfield and Flixton.
TM 303 861: Flixton Hall deer park, 500 acres, fencing partly wood and iron, for fallow deer about 200, (S2) quoting (R4) gives the size as some 700 acres.
C16 chiselled iron door knocker, opposed dolphin design on handle, from Flixton Hall, Bungay. In Ipswich Museum (S3).
The original house, built by John Tasburgh in 1615, is said to have been moated. This was burnt down in 1846 and almost totally rebuilt 1861 by Salvin for the Adair family. The house was largely demolished following its sale in 1950, only parts of the ground floor remain, roughly roofed with corrugated iron and asbestos and used as animal housing (S4). For ice-house associated with Hall, see South Elmham St Mary Misc.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW11, 1978 (ill).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW20, 1978.
- <R2> SSF5157 (No record type): Dickinson, Little Guide to Suffolk, sixth edition, 1957, 155.
- <R3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1961, 194.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Bungay 1923-63.2, 1923.
- <S4> SSF1605 (No record type): Brown A C, The Adair Family of Flixton Hall, E Anglian Magazine, Mar 1957, 254-260..
- <R4> SSF23076 (No record type): Whitaker J, Deer Parks of England, 1892, 142.
- <S5> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF57940 Unpublished document: Brooks, R.. 2015. Archaeological Excavation, Rochester Road Soak-away, RAF Lakenheath, Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 FDC 18-MAR-68.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 RSC 05-MAR-79.
- <S9> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Wainford RD Suff Aug 1949 13.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 3:43PM