Monument record WSS 001 - Bleach Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3737 7950 (157m by 135m)|
|Civil Parish||WISSETT, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Moat, large, trapezoid, occupied, isolated, close to parish boundary, marked on OS 1;10000 undated (S1). Scheduled. Internal buildings Listed.
1952: This moat is in a moderately clean condition, with the water on the level with ground level. Shape as shown on 6 inch map.
12 August 1970: A narrow waterfilled moat with near vertical sides. Only the W arm has not been recently cleaned. A new causeway crosses the S arm. The Listed house on the island has been much modernised externally, but has a panelled room which is dated 1644 (S2).
Marked on OS 1:10560, 1975.
Early Med sherds from moat of farmstead site. Given by J D Ingate, Chapel Farm, Chediston (S3).
July 2000: Scheduled - details in (S5).
2001: Lowering of floor levels in the northern wing of Bleach Farm revealed finds and features indicative of activity on the site from the 13th-14th century through to present. Most of the finds were located in a mixed context, probably a former floor surface subject to trample by stock. The remains of two wooden posts were revealed, athough these were not obviously associated with any structural elements and their date is unknown. The finds assemblage is dominated by 15th-16th century material but the presence of pottery from as early as the 13th century in such an isolated location would seem to confirm such early occupation of the site and ties in with the apogee of moat construction.
Removal of the moat causeway confirmed it to have been a modern addition rather than an original feature of the earthwork (S6).
For a copy of 'A plan of an estate in Wissett belonging to the parish of Alborough' (from Suffolk Record Office?) by T Hatton, 1769 see R:\Environmental Protection\Conservation\Archaeology\Library\HistoricMaps . This shows the moat, house and barn clearly.
2005: Archaeological monitoring was carried and revealed no archaeological finds or features (S7).
- <S1> SSF18198 Source Unchecked: West Dr S E. ND. SAU (West S E), undated. SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S5).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM37NE1, 1970.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-6, 1967.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1967, PSIA, 31, 1967, (1), 83.
- <S5> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information.
- <S6> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Everett L, No 2001/113.
- <S7> SSF56172 Unpublished document: Everett, L. 2005. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Bleach Farm, Wissett.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring - Bleach Farm, Wissett (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-8909) (ESF23717)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Anderson E) (Ref: OS (Anderson E)) (ESF12070)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (BHS F1) (Ref: OS (BHS F1)) (ESF13716)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Peters J S (Ref: OS (Peters J S) (ESF13378)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:10560 revised (Ref: OS 1:10560 revised) (ESF14682)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 25 inch and 1:10560 (Ref: OS 25 inch and 1:10560) (ESF14170)
Record last edited
Mar 22 2016 4:42PM