Monument record MNL 231 - Mildenhall Treasure; Thistley Green, West Row (Mildenhall Roman site).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6734 7668 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Hoard of 34 [plus?] pieces of Rom silver tableware found by ploughman, Mr Gordon Butcher, and excavated by him and local archaeologist, Mr Sidney Ford, in 1942. Known as the Mildenhall Treasure.
Declared Treasure Trove 1946. Mostly C4 (S1). Supposedly found at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), circa 30 yards from villa site, within scheduled area, MNL 064 (S3). This approximate location confirmed by nephew of Mr Butcher's brother (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) - see sketch map (S9). Paced location on sketch map held by coroner equates to circa (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S10).
However, details of discovery, original deposition and possible later re-deposition (also see MNL 603) together with findspot are unknown or suspect. Investigations have shed some light on the possible history of the treasure, which relates to its possible findspot, but as yet these are incomplete (S5)(S6).
Excavation in 1978 at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in another reputed findspot of treasure (S7), revealed the corner of a Rom building, Rom pottery and Rom coins but no evidence of treasure site (S6).
1986: Whole area in arable cultivation. Nothing visible on surface. Underlying chalk shows through peat [?? - unlikely to have been peat here, certainly none by 1960s] in places (S1).
Various discussions of hoard itself, which is late Roman and includes spoons with Chi-rho symbols and personal names.
Area is Scheduled.
- <S1> SSF11907 (No record type): Nixon D, copy of map from coroner's office, c.1980.
- <R1> SSF22234 (No record type): Toynbee, Art in Roman Britain, 169.
- <M1> SSF44919 (No record type): Excavation archive (for MNL 161).
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF10125 (No record type): Journ Rom Studies, 38, 102, n.17.
- <S2> SSF22080 (No record type): The Mildenhall Treasure, BMs handbook, 1964.
- <M2> SSF44920 (No record type): Photographs: ASM 23-26.
- <S3> SSF15457 (No record type): Painter K S, The Mildenhall Treasure, BM, 1977.
- <M3> SSF44921 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67NE4.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VIII, 163; XCV 20,21; XCVIII 67,82,101; card index 214-216.
- <S5> SSF5374 (No record type): Dring Dr C & Gadd J, 1978.
- <S6> SSF22940 (No record type): West Dr S E, 1978.
- <S7> SSF2997 (No record type): Butcher Mr T, 1978.
- <S8> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, Mildenhall Rom.
- <S9> SSF15939 (No record type): Pendleton R per SAU (CP), December 1996, sketch map.
- FSF20203: HOARD (Roman - 301 AD to 400 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Ford Sidney (Ref: Ford Sidney) (ESF15697)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13855)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13173)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (JP) (Ref: SAU (JP)) (ESF13634)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2012 11:05AM