Poorly Located Find Spot record MNL 997 - Bronze Age socketed axe, near Mildenhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 67 78 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Socketed axe found at Mildenhall, illustrated with 2 pairs of 3 diverging ribs on each face, resembling wing faceted form (S1)(S2)(S3). Found `near Mildenhall' (S4) in 1900. Linear faceted socketed axe with loop. Faces decorated wth 2 groups of 3 diverging ribs terminating in 2 pellets with isolated central pellet. Edge damaged. 10.8 cms long, 186.29 gms, formerly Prigg then Evans Collection (S4)(S5)(S6). LBA 4/EIA 1 (S7). The drawings in (S1) and (S5)(S6) are not similar. Are these separate finds or a bad drawing/s?
Formerly recorded as MNL MISC
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk 1. 268, (ill).
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 23, 1937, (1), 79.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Mildenhall BA.
- <S4> SSF6080 (No record type): Evans J, The Ancient Bronze Implements, Weapons & Ornaments of GB & Ireland, 1881, 127.
- <S5> SSF15886 (No record type): Pendleton C, The Distribution of BA Metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, numb.
- <S6> SSF11643 (No record type): National Bronze Implements Catalogue, BM, (ill).
- <S7> SSF12328 (No record type): O`Connor B, BAR int, 91, 585.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:47AM