Poorly Located Monument record MNL 906 - Roman artefact scatter, including a portion of a concave mirror and a bronze handle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 69 76 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
`Lying on the clay under 6 feet of vegetable mould (peat) in another fen near Mildenhall were found a portion of a concave mirror, the handle of bronze 3 in. long, and near it a bronze hand 2 and a half in. long, the fingers extended, evidently part of a figure which was not found; two blue & white glass beads, and a button of transparent light green glass three-quarters in(ch) in diameter. At the same time and place were found coins of Hadrian (AD 117-138), Vespesian (AD 69-79), and Constantine I (AD 307-37)' (S1)(R1)(S2)(S3).
The reference to clay under peat suggests a findspot either deep in Mildenhall Fen or outside Mildenhall parish as the known Rom sites on the Mildenhall fen edges all lie on a sand subsoil.
Formerly recorded as MNL MISC
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 310-313.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 314.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Mildenhall R, undated.
- <S3> SSF16368 (No record type): Phillips C W, The Fenland in Roman Times, London, 1970, 237.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2021 3:08PM