Monument record LKH 043 - Maids Cross Hill (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7251 8279 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`The base of a Med stone cross stands on a barrow on Maids Cross Hill' (S1)(R1-R4).
Sited at TL 7258 8278 by Rev H Tyrell Green (S1)(R5).
1972: `...the stone lies in the S side of a modern mound of earth and stone about 5m in diameter and 1m high. According to Mr Munday ... there was a barrow in the vicinity, and this mound was "reconstructed" from the barrow material when the area was first ploughed' (S1).
(R5) possibly relates to original siting of barrow?
Circular tumulus called Maids Cross Hill according to H Dixon Hewitt (S2)(R6).
Note twist in road at this point.
- <M1> SSF36478 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF3699 (No record type): Clarke W G, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1921, 244.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW6.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath?.
- <R2> SSF5106 (No record type): Dickenson P G M, Suffolk, 1957, 229.
- <R3> SSF3696 (No record type): Clarke W G, In Breckland Wilds, 1925, 186.
- <R4> SSF3653 (No record type): Clarke R R, In Breckland Wilds, 1937, 76.
- <R5> SSF7107 (No record type): Green H T, 6 inch record map, pre 1939 entry.
- <R6> SSF7463 (No record type): Hewitt H D, Notes on Suffolk Tumuli, 1936.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2019 4:28PM