Monument record MNL 014 - Hurst Fen, Mildenhall, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 725 768 (402m by 446m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1954-1958: Hurst Fen Neolithic site excavated, (S4, S3).
Spring 1988: Fieldwalking produced 4 microliths. Others had been found in previous years. The finder has noted that some, unpatinated, microliths have been found in identifiable clusters of knapping debris which include broken leaf arrowheads and broken laurel leaves. Do these represent Neolithic microliths? Others are slightly patinated and are presumably acceptable as Mesolithic (S1).
March/April 1997: Two further surface finds of microliths (S5).
See also Neolithic & Bronze Age and Iron Age records.
- <S1> SSF59585 Finds Report: Pendleton C. 1997. Hurst Fen MNL 014.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF57181 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and S. E. West. 1955. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1954- 1955.
- <S4> SSF59583 Article in serial: Clark, J. G. D.. 1960. Excavations at the Neolithic Site at Hurst Fen, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF59584 Finds Report: Pendleton C. 1988. Hurst Fen MNL 014.
- <S6> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 262.
- <S7> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1095.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Hurst Fen, Mildenhall. (Ref: Clark J) (ESF15184)
- Event - Survey: Field Visit, Hurst Fen, Mildenhall (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF12488)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey, Hurst Fen, Mildenhall (ESF27697)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey, Hurst Fen, Mildenhall (ESF27698)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 10:41AM