Monument record LKH 085 - North Fen
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7366 8434 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
`An unpolished, (?probably original polished surface lost) greenstone axe, flecked with quartz, 5 inches long, found in North Fen' (S1)(R1). Petrologically identified (no. S99) and placed in Group I - uralitized gabbro from Penzance district (S2)(S3)(S4)(S6).
For further Neo & Prehistoric artefacts in same locality, see LKH 002, 083 & 084 and LKH Misc Neo.
This may be same as `Fine polished axe Oct 57 Mr Gathercole' transcribed on 6 inch record map by A R Edwardson at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S5), however this probably relates to LKH 002.
- <R1> SSF11250 (No record type): MIHLM, 6 inch record map, Lady G Briscoe, undated entry.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW18, 1964.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1961, PSIA, 29, 1961, (1), 98.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath Neolithic, 1961.
- <S4> SSF11011 (No record type): Clough, T.H.Mck. & Green, B.. McK Clough T H et al, `The Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from E Anglia' PPS, 38, 1.
- <S5> SSF2568 (No record type): BSEMH, 6 inch record map, XIINW, undated entry.
- <S6> SSF3803 (No record type): Clough T H McK and Cummins W A (eds), Stone Axe Studies, 2, CBA RR, 67, 1988, 181, no. 99.
- <S7> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 3:57PM