Poorly Located Find Spot record LKH 482 - Findspot of a Bronze-Age socketed axe
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7 8 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Socketed axe decorated with three beaded ribs terminating in pellets and roundels separated by two plain ribs terminating in pellets. Collar band decorated with diagonal lines. Two (S1) or three (S2) holes drilled in socket collar. Surface cleaned and slightly pocked. Length 12.4 cms, weight 409.21 gms (S1)(S4).
Found `in fens between Lakenheath and Mildenhall' (S3) about 1848-1850 `about 6 feet below the surface' (S2). Suggests probably found in area of Undley or the Delph, Beck Row (see MNL 80 & MNL 228 for similar axes from same area). Also recorded in (S5-S9).
Formerly recorded as LKH MISC
- <S1> SSF11644 (No record type): National Bronze Implements Catalogue, BM, Ms, fig.
- <S2> SSF15410 (No record type): P Soc Antiq, 1, 1860, 106.
- <S3> SSF343 (No record type): Arch J, 10, 1853, 355.
- <S4> SSF15866 (No record type): Pendleton C, The distribution of BA metalwork in NW Suffolk BA dissertation, Nottingham 1985, number.
- <S5> SSF6079 (No record type): Evans J, The Ancient Bronze implements, weapons & ornaments of GB & Ireland, 1881, 125, fig 139.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk 1. 268.
- <S7> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 23, 1937, (1), 79.
- <S8> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath BA, undated.
- <S9> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW53.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:47AM