Monument record BUN 003 - 55-57 Joyce Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 347 890 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Remains indicative of Anglo-Saxon burials were found in May 1951 by workmen digging trenches for new houses, now numbers 55 and 57 Joyce Road, Bungay. A rectangular depression was discovered cut in gravel at a depth of 1 foot 3 inches just outside the W wall of number 57. It contained a cleft-socket iron spearhead and small bronze buckle, and was probably the grave of an adult male with head to the W. A second grave was seen lying transversely across the foundation trench for the S wall of house number 55. It contained a circular "elastic" wire ring of silver and the remains of a small green glass bead. Probably a woman's grave. No human remains were found in what is very acid soil. The date of burial may be C6 or C7. "No other archaeological material was noted in the preparation of the remainder of this housing site" (S1).
"Unless this pair of burials is isolated, then the remainder of this inhumation cemetery is likely to stretch to the S over the brow of the hill" (S2).
"Anglo-Saxon remains found AD 1951" (S3).
- <R1> SSF11117 (No record type): Meaney, A.. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites. Meaney A, Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites, 1964, 225.
- <S1> SSF17431 (No record type): Rainbird Clarke R, Anglo-Saxon burials at Bungay, PSIA, 25, 1951, (3), 304-306 (ill).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW1, 1967.
- <S3> SSF15193 (No record type): OS, map 1:10560, 1957.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Bungay AS, undated (handwritten note).
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. VOL 25, 1950-2.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. VOL 35, 1985.
- <S7> SSF59932 Bibliographic reference: Geake, H.. 1997. The use of grave-goods in conversion-period England.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2021 1:21PM