Monument record BRD 018 - Chequer Meadow; Staunch Meadow (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7794 8658 (413m by 262m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Middle Saxon Occupation on Chequer Meadow (S6).
`Large numbers of skeletons, both male and female, found in large-low mound in Staunch Meadow, Brandon, as early as 1847' (S1)(R3).
1895-1896: At least 120 skeleton excavated from this (? same) cemetery by C S Myers, `found with the skeletons of horses but no associated objects other than iron fragments' (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4). It seems likely the skeletal material relates to the Sax or EMed cemeteries at present under excavation by the SAU - see Sax & Med.
1980-1988: Excavations by SAU locates various undatable features - details in excavation archive (R4).
1997: Monitoring by Gill, D. located two small undated ditches on the west side of the meadow (S7).
Details in (S8).
Also Mes, Neo, BA, IA, Rom, Sax, Med & Pmed.
- --- SSF58062 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Radiocarbon Dating Bone Samples Recovered From Gravel Sites.
- <R1> SSF11621 (No record type): Myers C S, Jour Royal Anthrop Inst, 26, 1896, 113-128, figs.
- <M1> SSF37131 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE1 & 29.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP OA 01.
- <R2> SSF5386 (No record type): Duckworth W L H in Marr & Shipley, Natural Hist of Cambs, 1904, 250,252.
- <S2> SSF6547 (No record type): Fox C, Arch of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 77 & 114.
- <S3> SSF3630 (No record type): Clarke R R, `The IA in Norf & Suff' Arch Jour, 95, 1939, 44 & 95.
- <M3> SSF37133 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R3> SSF9920 (No record type): Ipswich Jour, January 1847.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Brandon, undated.
- <R4> SSF6198 Excavation archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1989. Staunch Meadow, Brandon. Excavation archive.
- <S5> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP OA 01, 1954.
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Monitoring Report, SAU.
- <S8> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 35 (1) p 78 1981.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Myers C S (Ref: Myers C S) (ESF14958)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring- Brandon Rembrance Playing Fields sports and social club extension, Brandon (Ref: ) (ESF18380)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13728)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13404)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF12203)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2017 9:39AM