Monument record SOL 032 - Site of World War Two military training area, probably related to Herringfleet military camp
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4682 9912 (194m by 191m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
September 2013. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
An area of World War Two military training activity is visible as huts, structures and earthworks on aerial photographs taken in 1944 (S1-S2). Most of the structures and huts are centred at TM 4681 9843. This is one of three military training sites in this area (see SOL 030, MSX27212, and SOL 031, MSX27213). They all probably relate to Herringfleet military camp, which was a D-day tank school (S3). In common with SOL 031 (MSX27213) to its southwest, there is no evidence of activity at this particular site until after March 1944 (compare S1 and S5), and it appears to have been relatively short-lived, with at least some structures removed as early as September 1944 (S4) and the remainder by October 1945 (S6). Quite what was taking place at the site is unclear. It comprised a single large pit or emplacement, isolated (other than two possible smaller additional earthworks) in the middle of a field, connected by a narrow track to two linear arrangements of huts and possibly other structures, including the probable footprint of recently removed tents. It is possible that some above ground remnants of the site still survive, but there is no obvious evidence of this on more recent photography.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 11th September 2013.
- <S1> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/LA/21 RS 4080-4081 04-JUL-1944 (EHA).
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/LA/27 RP 3074-3075 05-AUG-1944 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55030 Digital archive: John Schofield. 2006. England's Army Camps, Archaeology Data Service (doi:10.5284/1000269) http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/armycamp_eh_2006/ [Accessed 11-SEP-2013].
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/LA/39 RP 3005 16-SEP-1944 (EHA).
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/HLA/694 RS 4115-4116 26-MAR-1944 (EHA).
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/930 RS 4057-4058 16-OCT-1945 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 10:57AM