Monument record SOL 027 - Summerhouse Water
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4939 9650 (1204m by 639m)|
|Civil Parish||BLUNDESTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- WATER GARDEN (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1652 AD to 2050 AD)
- MOUND (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1652 AD to 2050 AD)
- GARDEN FEATURE (17th century to IPS: Modern - 1652 AD to 2050 AD)
- FISHING LODGE (17th century to 20th century - 1652 AD to 1900 AD)
- ISLAND (17th century to 20th century - 1652 AD to 1900 AD)
Water gardens at Summerhouse Water (separate part of Somerleyton Park - see SOL 015). Mapped in 1652 with mount, fishing lodges on islands etc (S1) (R1). Further details in (S1).
Further details in (S2)? - not located during compilation of record!
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Earthworks relating to the post medieval water gardens described above are visible on aerial photographs, most clearly on (S3), centred at TM 4913 9640. Comparison with the 1652 Somerleyton Estate Map (S4) indicates that they comprise the Wall Pond (or the 'Walled in Pond', visible as a large, square depression), possible remnants of terracing to its south, and the island within Hand Pond to its southwest (a square mound surrounded by lower-lying ground). Some of these features were identified on the ground during a survey of the gardens (report by Williamson and Taigel in S2).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <R1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. (unchecked).
- <S1> SXS50146 Monograph: Williamson, T.. 2000. Suffolk's Gardens and Parks - Designed Landscapes from the Tudors to the Victorians. fig 13, p29.
- <S2> SSF50131 Source Checked: Parks File.
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/540/465 RP 3120-3121 20-APR-1951 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55044 Map: 1652. 1652 Estate Map of Somerleyton.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 23 2018 11:03AM