Monument record SOL 004 - Probable Bronze Age round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5012 9688 (23m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Single ring ditch, circa 20m diameter, flanked by two ditches (part of SOL 011) and adjacent to two other ring ditches, (SOL 003 and 005)(S1,S2)(S4, S5).
Farmer's observation of a mound in this location suggest likely round barrow (S3).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a ring ditch, probably representing the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow, are visible on aerial photographs (for example S6). The ring ditch is centred on TM 5012 9687 and is 18m in diameter and appears to form part of a barrow group/cemetery (SOL 045), see record for more details. The ditches mentioned above are recorded within SOL 002.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF11760 (No record type): NAU, APs TM 5097/B/AC52, 1975, TM 4996/E/AFP11, 1976.
- <M1> SSF41412 (No record type): APs: NAU TM 5097/B/AC52, TM 4996/E/AFP11; SAU AGF 03, AGG 26, AGN 13,14.
- <S2> SSF18829 (No record type): SAU, APs AGF 03, AGG 26, July 1977; AGN 13, 14, August 1977.
- <S3> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Martin E (SCCAS), report to FWAG, March 2004.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, AP, TM 5096/ HXV11, 12, 13, & 14.
- <S5> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Michael Page to Colin Pendleton, 18 Aug 2010, with AP.
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. NLA 9910/TM5096F-H 08-JUL-1976 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 8:56AM