Monument record BLN 009 - Cropmarks of a double concentric ring ditch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5232 9823 (35m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||BLUNDESTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- CONCENTRIC RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- MOUND? (Unknown date)
- MOUND? (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC?)
- RING DITCH (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC?)
- ROUND BARROW? (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD?)
Double ring ditch/small circular enclosure, outer ring circa 30m diameter, inner ring circa 20m diameter, possible entrance to NW. Some internal features (S1)(S2).
October 2013. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a double concentric ring ditch, potentially representing the remains of a Neolithic and/or Bronze Age round barrow or hengiform monument, are visible on aerial photographs (S3-S6). The site is centred on TM 5232 9823 and is 28m in overall diameter. A small sub-rectangular enclosure, which follows the curve of the outer ditch may represent a precursor to the site. A possible circular parchmark was visible in this approximately location on (S6) and this may indicate a former barrow or platform. Although it is possible that this site represents a circular enclosure relating to settlement of later prehistoric date. A concentration of Neolithic to early Bronze Age flints have been recovered from this area. See also BLN 004 for another nearby elaborate ring ditch.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th October 2013.
- <S1> SSF11761 (No record type): NAU, APs TM 5298/A/AF52,TM 5198/A/AFR2, 1976, TM 5298/F/APX25, 1980.
- <M1> SSF44711 (No record type): APs: NAU, TM 5298/A/AF52, TM 5198/A/AFR2, TM 5298/F/APX25;.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BXH 5, BYB 37 (1975).
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP BXH 5, BYB 37.
- <S3> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, AP, TM 5292/ HXX12.
- <S4> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service CUC BXH5 15-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service NAU HXX13 02-JUL-1996.
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/89047 287-288 18-MAR-1989 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 1:12PM