Monument record BNC 012 - Linear field systems and possible irregular enclosures
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5096 8283 (808m by 385m)|
|Civil Parish||BENACRE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Linear cropmark systems and possible irregular enclosure (S1). Irregular enclosure c. 60m (S6).
May 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Undated linear field systems and possible irregular enclosures as well as at least one possible trackway are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S2-S5) to the north of Holly Grove, Benacre. The monument polygon has been extended to the north to include further features.
It is possible that the field contains other, very faint possible enclosures, although all the features are visible against a background of geological marks and it is difficult to discern the archaeological features.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 13th May 2014.
- <S1> SSF18423 (No record type): SAU, AP AFW06, 1977.
- <M1> SSF36628 (No record type): AP : AFW 06, 1977.
- <S2> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. OAP SFU 11560/GD/24 01-JUL-1977 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11562/6 07-JUL-1977 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap96 13 220-221 29-SEPT-1996.
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 21-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-APR-2014.
- <S6> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk. illustration.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM48SE/58SW. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22035)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 2:25PM