Monument record BNC 011 - Linear cropmark system of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5139 8476 (723m by 532m)|
|Civil Parish||BENACRE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- TRACKWAY? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH? (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Unknown date)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
Linear cropmark system, SAU AP (S1). P Warner APs (S2).
May 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Undated linear field systems and possible irregular enclosures as well as possible trackways are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S3-S6) to the west of Church Farm Marshes, Benacre. The monument polygon has been extended to the north to include further features. A possible Roman date has been tentatively suggested for this site, on morphological grounds, and due to the discovery of a Roman coin nearby (SHER BNC 006).
It is possible that the field contains other, possible sub-circular features, which may represent small ring ditches or possible hut circles, although all the features are visible against a background of geological marks and it is difficult to discern the full extent of the archaeological features.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 20th May 2014.
- <S1> SSF18421 (No record type): SAU, AP AFW 04, 1977.
- <M1> SSF39113 (No record type): APs: AFW 04, 1977; (P Warner) BZK 14-17.
- <S2> SSF22786 (No record type): Warner P, APs BZK 14-17, 1979.
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11562/4 07-JUL-1977 (EHA), Warner P, APs BZK 14-17, 1979.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 35 3886062-3886063 30-JUN-1986.
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/96545 V 147-148 27-APR-1996 (EHA).
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 21-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-APR-2014.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM48SE/58SW. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22035)
Record last edited
Nov 5 2014 2:51PM