Monument record CAC 064 - Site of fields of predominantly medieval to post medieval date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5194 9084 (360m by 690m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD?)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD?)
The cropmarks and soilmarks of fields and a boundary bank or trackway of probable medieval-post medieval date, although a Roman origin for some elements is feasible, are visible on aerial photographs at Carlton Colville. The majority of the boundaries on the site are likely to date to the medieval to post medieval period and follow the alignment of former boundaries to the immediate east on the Ordnance Survey First Edition map. However some components follow a slightly different alignment, which corresponds with Roman date ditches and enclosures excavated to the west (CAC 026, CAC 029), suggesting that some of the fields could also be Roman in origin. See CAC 063 for discussion.
- <S1> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/540/495 RS 4074-5 12-MAY-1951 (EHA).
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/70307 V 032 05-SEP-1970 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 2:14PM