Monument record KSS 091 - Possible Romano-British field system and enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5263 8592 (466m by 491m)|
|Civil Parish||KESSINGLAND, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM? (Unknown date)
- FIELD SYSTEM? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
June 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Linear ditches and possible enclosures are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1-S3), on land to the east of Coopers Lane, Kessingland.
A Roman date has been suggested for the possible villa complex to the south (SHER KSS 090), and therefore it is possible that these features are also Roman in date, although they are visible on 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps of the area, and therefore may be medieval to post medieval in date.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th June 2014.
- <S1> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11550/10-11 25-JUL-1975 (EHA).
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/80067 V 017-018 10-MAY-1980 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 21-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-MAY-2014.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM48NE/58NW. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22036)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 8:50AM