Monument record GSE 001 - Gisleham Manor House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5138 8794 (207m by 191m)|
|Civil Parish||GISLEHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat, isolated, small square, central to large square enclosure, Gisleham Manor House, central platform unoccupied, buildings, including `Manor Farm', in outer court.
'Gisleham Manor House (site of)' recorded on OS maps. According to owner, central area archaeologically excavated about 25 years ago (i.e. c.1974) with JCB by trenching. No further details (S1).
January 1999: Being assessed for scheduling (S1).
July 2000: Scheduled - details in (S2).
November 2000: Monitoring of soil strip over former cottage footings (perhaps former gatehouse). Area to south of site between inner and outer moats. One ditch with domestic refuse and worked stone from machined surface. Details to follow.
August 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The moat described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs (S4-S9). Several earthwork ditches are also visible in the vicinity, one of which is located between the inner and outer moats, but these have been recorded separately (SHER GSE 080) as they were considered likely to represent post medieval drainage features. An earthwork bank, also located between the inner and outer moats was also considered likely to relate to post medieval clearance of the moat, although it is possible that this does in fact relate to the medieval period of the manor.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 7th August 2014.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF50017 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Site Report. Bamford H (English Heritage), January 1999.
- <S2> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/930 RP 3127-3128 16-OCT-1945 (EHA).
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/540/495 RP 3075-3076 12-MAY-1951 (EHA).
- <S6> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/89054 V 367-368 27-MAR-1989 (EHA).
- <S7> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS/96545 V 251-252 27-APR-1996 (EHA).
- <S8> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 21818/11 30-SEP-2002 (EHA).
- <S9> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 21740/03 30-SEP-2002 (EHA).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Monitoring - SAU (LE) (Ref: ) (ESF18218)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14185)
- Event - Interpretation: TM48NE/58NW. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22036)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 8:06AM