Monument record SNP 050 - Flood defences and drainage built before 1837 and abandoned by 1943.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 40543 56616 (432m by 837m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Flood defences built by 1837 (S1)(although when is unknown) to claim a peninsula of land where the River Alde makes a sharp loop down to Iken Cliff before turning back north past Iken Church (around TM 405566). The defences were still intact around 1919 (S2) but had been breached and abandoned by 1943 (S3) and have since eroded substantially (S4). The land drainage pattern was still somewhat visible in the intertidal mud in 1945 (S5-6) but has since been largely eroded away.
Also seen as part of field survey of coastal area - Former sea defence, breached 1920's? (Duncan Allan pers comm) Fence line (posts) behind it running c.SW-NE of timber and rubble construction (S7). 1880 OS 1st ed. Shows wall complete with field systems behind it (S8). 1920 OS 3rd ed. "area flooded by tidal water due to broken bank"(S9)
- <S1> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. Printed 1837.
- <S2> SXS50087 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey 1 inch to 1 mile map, 4th Edition. 1" to 1 Mile. Revised 1914-1919.
- <S3> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 Frame 5055-6.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/72057 Frames 74-76.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/717 Frame 4174.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/832 Frames 4137-4139.
- <S7> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- <S8> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. 1st edition, c.1880..
- <S9> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 3rd edition, c.1920..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM