Monument record SNP 076 - Post Medieval quay north of Church Reach.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 41009 57138 (4m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The site of a Post Medieval quay, marked on the 1st edition 25" map. The remains of the quay are visible on aerial photographs at TM 41005713 (north of Church Reach), as a dark line (the shore has been eroded from behind it) with the depression of the access channel still apparent in the intertidal mud (S1). The remains of the quay appear to be being eroded steadily. (S2)
Also seen as part of field survey of coastal area - row of posts, possibly with parallel line c.2.5m to W. N-S. S3.
Marked as a quay in 1880 (S4), wharf in 1900 (S5) and gone by 1920 (S6).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/832 Frames 4138-4139.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/72057 Frames 73-74.
- <S3> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al..
- <S4> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. Ist ed., c1880..
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 2nd ed., c1900..
- <S6> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 3rd ed., 1920.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM