Monument record LWT 134 - Post Medieval brickworks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 53317 89710 (197m by 126m)|
|Civil Parish||LOWESTOFT, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A number of earthwork features can be seen in a field to the east of London Road, Pakefield, Lowestoft, on aerial photographs from 1944 (S1), 1945 (S2) and 1955 (S3). The main feature is a set of adjoining rectangular earthworks, most c 20m by c 15m. These features are covered in grass and light scrub, and as they are still quite crisp, it appears that they may be foundations of buildings, possibly drying sheds. A further right angled feature can be seen as a cropark just to the north of these earthworks, and it may possibly be part of some other builings. Alongside these features are two large rectangular pits, which may possibly have been used for clay extraction. There is another, larger (c 65m across), irregular pit in the western corner of the field. A circular earthwork, c 10m across, can be seen to the west of the rectangular features. This corresponds roughly with the depiction of a kiln in this location on the 2nd Ed County OS map of 1904. To the north of the rectangular earthworks another earthwork can be seen, but its form is not very distinct, and it appears to be a patch of disturbed ground. However, this also corresponds to the location of a kiln on the 2nd Ed County OS map. This complex of features is marked as 'Brickworks (disused)' on the 1904 County OS map, which would suggest that the site was in use during the nineteenth-century. A more exact date is not clear from the map and aerial photograph evidence. By 1970, the site had been built over, and was most recently the home of the Beech Farm Mobile Home Park.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2013 9:48AM