Monument record BAW 087 - World War II strongpoint, fallen into the sea.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 35543 39632 (128m by 183m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1941 AD? (at some time))
- BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1945 AD? (at some time))
- BEACH DEFENCE (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1940 AD? (at some time))
- TRENCH (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1945 AD? (at some time))
- EMPLACEMENT (Second World War - 1940 AD? to 1945 AD? (at some time))
A World War II strongpoint is visible at this location on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s. A number of trenches are visible in 1940 along with a stretch of barbed wire obstruction (S1). By 1945 a strongpoint is evident, three side of the enclosure being barbed wire whilst the eastern side is part of the stretch of beach scaffolding (see BAW 100). (S2) The barbed wire has been removed by July 1948, however a hexagonal pillbox is visible at this date. This pillbox is undoubtedly contemporary with the strongpoint but may have been camouflaged during the war. (S3) Remains of the beach scaffolding are still visible in 1995 (S4) and the hexagonal pillbox and the remains of another circular pillbox are visible in 1996. (S5)
Also seen as part of field survey of Suffolk Coast - hexagonal concrete pillbox, WWII. S6
2014: pillbox has now fallen into the sea (S7).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/10 B15 22-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4425 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/79 PtII 5184 27-JUL-1948.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3539/1 (15256/33) 12-APR-95.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM3539/4 (EXC 16931/07) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S6> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- <S7> SSF55337 Web Page: Bing maps 2014.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2014 2:54PM