Monument record FEX 157 - Post Medieval Coastal Battery.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 32752 36605 (55m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A coastal battery is marked on a map dated c. 1824, just to the east of the Martello Tower T (FEX 062) on what is now the golf course at Felixstowe (S1). Earthworks are depicted in the same position as the battery on the OS 25" 1st and 2nd Edition maps and were presumably part of the structure of the battery (S2) (S3). Two small banks are visible as earthworks on photographs from the 1940's. It would be reasonable to assume that they are the earthworks depicted on (S3) (S4) (S5). By 1996 coastal erosion appears to have removed any evidence of the gun battery (S6).
- <S1> SXS50095 Map: North and Cobbold family archives. c. 1824. Felixstowe: plan of wasteland and foreshore (IRO HA/49/E2/2/1). c. 1824.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. c. 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". c. 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4393-5 16-OCT-1945.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 5149 28-JUL-1948.
- <S6> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM3236/3 (EXC16931/11) 16-JUN-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 11:57AM