Monument record BAW 103 - World War II Pillbox.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33313 38010 (4m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A World War II Type 24 pillbox (an irregular hexagon in plan with one longer side) can be seen at RAF Bawdsey from May 1944 onwards. It has a secondary concrete wall encircling it. It was constructed some time after July 1940 and it appears to be still visible in photographs from 1998. (S1) (S2) (S3) (S4)
RAF Bawdsey. Type 24 pillbox, with concreted sandbag skirt: skirt formed by 13ins brick retaining wall and 3ft thick infill of earth. [SGP/SK/35] (S5).
This site originally recorded as BAW 103 and duplicated as BAW 171 (now deleted).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA15 3031 28-MAY-1944.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK929 4396 16-OCT*1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/367 3043 31-OCT-1946.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3337/7 (NMR18128/02) 13-AUG-1998.
- <S5> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006059.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2014 3:33PM