Monument record BAW 113 - World War II Pillbox.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 34024 38312 (4m by 4m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A World War II pillbox is visible on photographs from 1944 onwards at RAF Bawdsey. It is a Type 24 pillbox, an irregular hexagon in plan with one longer wall. It is still visible in photographs from 1995 (S1) (S2) (S3).
Pillbox - part of Bawdsey radar station ground defences (S4).
Bawdsey radar station. Type 24 pillbox. After the war, the embrasures were blocked up and rendered, and a door fitted, enabling the pillbox to be used as a store (S5).
This site originally recorded as BAW 113 and duplicated as BAW 170 (now deleted).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106W/LA1 4017 18-APR-1944.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3438/2 (NMR12647/35) 12-APR-1995.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3438/7 (NMR15256/22) 12-APR-1995.
- <S4> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006058.
- <S5> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0007485.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2014 4:10PM