Monument record BAW 121 - RAF Bawdsey
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33534 38065 (222m by 154m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A number of different forms of military building can be seen at RAF Bawdsey on photographs taken in 1940. A mast can also be seen adjacent to these buildings (TM33573812). There are two groups of rectangular buildings arranged in the same pattern at TM33443804 and TM33473804. These buildings, painted with a camouflage pattern, may have provided accommodation for personnel and were demolished at some point between July 1940 and April 1944. The two buildings at TM33593809 and TM33633807 are also painted with camouflage pattern and have associated blast walls. Their function is unclear and they were demolished before 1965. The buildings at TM33543807 visible in 1940 are also of unknown function and were removed before 1965. The two large brick-built buildings at TM33473800 and TM33563808 were constructed before 1940 and are still visible on photographs from 1998. Their specific function is also unclear. (S1) (S2) (S3) (S4) The mast may have been one of the receiver towers related to the Chain Home radar system developed at Bawdsey from 1936 onwards. One of the buildings mention above may have been the receiver block. (S5)
A square pillbox can be seen close to where the mast was located (TM33533800) on a photograph from 1998. (S6)
See BAW 051 for the transmitter block and masts.
Well preserved site at the home of British Radar. Remains include Receiver and Transmitter buildings, each with 4 sets of aerial base, with one radar still retained on APs from 1998. Buried receiver and transmitter buildings and attached aerials are in good condition. A number of accommodation buildings survive, including IFF, Guardhouses and 9 pillboxes (S7).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/10 B9 22-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106W/LA1 4016 18-APR-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA22 4025 06-JUL-1944.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3337/8 (NMR18128/03) 13-AUG-1998.
- <S5> SXS50096 Monograph: Lowry B (Ed.). 1996. 20th Century Defences in Britain: An Introductory Guide. p 36-40.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM3338/2 (NMR18123/20) 13-AUG-1998.
- <S7> SSF54928 Unpublished document: Anderton, M. J.. 2000. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project. World War Two radar stations.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2013 4:55PM