Monument record KIR 024 - Post Medieval landing pier.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 29089 41465 (27m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A Post Medieval landing pier can be seen at TM 29084146 on aerial photographs taken from the 1940s onwards. There are three structures, presumably wooden, protruding into the creek, the longest being about 25m in length. The Ordnance Survey 25" 1st Edition map of circa 1884 (S1) depicts a landing pier at this location and it is probable that the structures on the photographs are the remains of this pier. (S2) (S3) (S4) Remains are still visible on a photograph taken in 1996. (S5)
See KIR 025 for the brickworks to the south that the landing pier presumably served.
Also seen in field survey of Suffolk Coast - post lines associated with old hard on Kirton Creek. Modern hard set alongside revetted shingle and clay surface. S6
- <M1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2941/1 (EXC 19028/08) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4050-4051 23-SEP-1945.
- <S3> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65094 030-031 03-NOV-1965.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71156 068-069 02-MAY-1971.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2941/1 (EXC 19028/08) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S6> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2013 12:43PM