Monument record SLY 068 - Post Medieval timber structures in Shotley parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 24748 36267 (19m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Two linear structures are visible on aerial photographs from the 1940s onwards, extending into the intertidal zone to the north of Crane's Creek at circa TM24453629. The structures are clearly visible on photographs from 1946, 1966 and 1987. The northernmost structure extends from the sea bank for just over 17m at TM24733629. The southernmost structure protrudes for approximately 20m in a south easterly direction, from the point where the sea bank turns to enclose the saltmarsh, at TM24743625. The function of these structures is unknown. The possibility that they are groynes was considered, but the small size and position of the structures suggests otherwise. The date of the structures is unknown, and neither of the features are marked on either the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 (S1), or on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1904 (S2). The condition of the features appears to have deteriorated slightly from 1946 to 1987, suggesting either a late Post Medieval or early modern date for their construction. (S3-S5).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1707 4352-3 29-AUG-1946.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66/189 129-130 23-JUL-1966.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/87146 9025-9026 11-SEP-1987.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM