Monument record ADB 069 - Post Medieval brick- earth quarry pit.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45944 58251 (120m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a large quarry pit are visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from1943 onwards, centred on circa TM45955825. The exact date of the pit is unknown, but it is marked on both the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904. On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1884, the pit is part of a complex labelled as a brickworks, and is associated with the building to the south which is still called Brick Kiln cottage today. It is therefore reasonable to assume that this pit was part of the brick-making industry which was widespread in Suffolk until the late 19th and early 20th century. Aldeburgh brickworks is one of the few remaining in the county but now gets its clay from Chillesford, near Butley (S1-23)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:27PM